Sunday, August 14, 2022
HomeGistsTragedy As Child Dies, Five Battling For Life After Eating Porridge

Tragedy As Child Dies, Five Battling For Life After Eating Porridge


File Image

Tragedy As Child Dies, Five Battling For Life After Eating Porridge

A four-year-old boy died while five of his relatives and neighbors are battling for life at Mpilo Central Hospital after they reportedly ate porridge suspected to have been mixed with poison yesterday.

The incident reportedly happened at around 11 am in Old Magwegwe in Bulawayo, and resulted in the four-year-old dying within minutes after consuming the porridge.

Three other boys aged eight, 12, and 18 are said to be in critical condition. Two other children from the house next door who also tasted the porridge are said to be in a stable condition.

Bulawayo provincial police spokesperson Inspector Abednico Ncube said he could not readily comment on the matter Sunday News reports.

The publication also reports that when it visited the house yesterday at around 3 pm, the body of the deceased was still in the house with police taking statements from family and neighbors.

A spokesperson for the Siyanzembwe family, Ethel Munkuli said she was called by neighbors to go and find out what was happening at her mother-in-law’s house after the children were seen vomiting.

The deceased and the three other boys in a critical condition reside together with Munkuli’s mother-in-law who was at work.

It was reported that the 18-year-old Donald Mudimba cooked porridge which he shared with three other boys aged four, eight, and 12 as he usually does because he is the one who looks after them when Munkuli’s mother-in-law is at work.

There were two other kids from next door who also tasted the porridge while playing there. However, Donald started having a running tummy and he went to relieve himself.

The four-year-old boy then started eating Donald’s porridge resulting in him being more critical and dying before being ferried to hospital.

She noted that at first when she arrived at the house, which is a street away from her house, Donald was vomiting non-stop and in a state of shock.

After thinking the boy had need bewitched, Munkuli said she rushed him to a nearby prophetess to seek for prayers.

“While we were praying for Donald I was then called again and told the other three boys were now vomiting as well. We then asked Donald who said they ate porridge only a few minutes ago.”

An ambulance was called but by the time it arrived the four-year-old boy was no longer breathing.

The three boys and two kids from next door were then ferried to Mpilo hospital together with the pot of the porridge and the sugar they used.

You May Also Want To Read

Foreigners Flock To Zimbabwe To Get Covid-19 Vaccine With No Hassles

Woman Appears In Court After Defrauding Friend Of $118k


  • How To Never Miss IHarare Latest News On Your News Feed Following Facebook’s New Algorithm

  • Related articles

    Stay Connected


    Latest posts