Management of Xtra Gold Mining Company has served notice of possible court action against the state if the government fails to explain the reasons behind the burning of excavators, a bulldozer and a water pumping machine belonging to the company a fortnight ago.

The company, belonging to the National Women’s Organiser of the ruling NPP, Kate Gyamfuah lost about 8 excavators and a bulldozer when soldiers in Operation Halt II clamp down on illegal mining raided its concession in the Eastern region and set the machines ablaze.

The company maintains that its activities in the Atewa Forest in the Eastern region is legal and have been paying big money taxes and royalties to the government since 2006, but the government has said the contrary.

At a press briefing in Accra last week, both the Ministers of Land and Natural Resources and Defence, Hon. Samuel Abu Jinapor and Hon. Dominic Nitiwul respectively said that, the company was operating illegally and was by their action polluting the Birim River.

But speaking in an interview with Kwame Nkrumah Tikese on Okay FM on Friday morning monitored by MyNewsGh.com, the company’s secretary, Nana Asante Boadi Yeboah said there is no justification for the action by the soldiers and that the company is preparing to go to court if no compensation is given soon.

“We are looking through all our documents with our lawyers because we have decided to go to court; we know that there are people within the government who have decided to intimidate Mama Kate but we will not relent until justice is served. One sad thing is that people get away with illegality because Ghanaians do not like to test the law, but this time, we will test the law and see how things will pan out”, the company secretary said.

This follows the call by President Akufo-Addo for persons who disagree with the burning of excavators to seek legal redress.

Source:MyNewsGh.com/2021