Fabio Capello labelled Juventus’ display in their 3-0 loss to Milan “embarrassing” as the pressure continues to grow on head coach Andrea Pirlo.
Juve’s first home league defeat at the hands of Milan since March 2011 leaves them fifth in Serie A and a point off the Champions League spots with three games to go.
Brahim Diaz opened the scoring for the visitors on the brink of half-time and Ante Rebic added a second 12 minutes from time after Franck Kessie had a penalty saved.
Fikayo Tomori rounded off the scoring late on at the Allianz Stadium in a game in which Juve managed only one shot on target across the 90 minutes.
It is the third time in five games they have failed to test the opposition keeper before half-time, with Alvaro Morata and Cristiano Ronaldo touching the ball once in the penalty area between them during the first 45 minutes.
At the opposite end of the field, the Bianconeri have conceded goals in each of their past 11 Serie A games, which is their worst streak since April 2010.
While Capello does not believe Milan deserve any special praise for their performance in Turin, he has questioned whether Juve can currently be classed as an elite club.
“What we saw from Juventus was embarrassing,” he told Sky Sport Italia. “In the first half they did not exist. It was the same against Udinese last week.
“They were without ideas and Milan did their part, without having to do difficult things. Juventus tried to press but without aggression and never managed to recover the ball.
“In the first half there was a huge amount of wrong passes. Watching the game, I had to ask, ‘are these Super League teams?’.
“The second half was a bit better. Milan’s goals unlocked the game and Juve woke up after the missed penalty, but not enough. Gianluigi Donnarumma made only one save.”
Having missed out on the Scudetto for the first time in a decade, Juve now risk failing to qualify for the Champions League for the first time since 2010-11.
Pirlo insisted after his side’s sixth league loss of the season that he has no intention of stepping down, with club officials reportedly discussing his future on Monday.
Capello, who both played for and managed Juventus, believes Pirlo has to take responsibility for confusing his players with a change of system.
“Juventus’ problems are in midfield. Ronaldo did not have the service and [Giorgio] Chiellini is the only player who played some throughballs,” he said.
“It should not possible that Chiellini is the key man in midfield. There has been confusion from the beginning – they started with a three-man defence then changed.
“The players feel the coach does not have clear ideas. They smell the situation and find it difficult to follow him. Juventus need a clear direction to improve.”
Juve are back in action on Wednesday with a trip to Sassuolo.
Click Here To Read Our Top Stories For Today
Send Your Stories to email: [email protected] or Whatsapp: 0576270779