Tuesday, July 5, 2022
HomeSportsBan on prospecting activities in Ghana's Forest reserves very responsible – Ken...

Ban on prospecting activities in Ghana’s Forest reserves very responsible – Ken Ashigbey

-

Media Coalition Against galamsey, has described the direction by the minister of Land and Natural Resources Samuel Anu Jinapor to individuals and companies engaged in prospecting in the country’s forest reserves to stop as a very responsible one.

“The action by the minister is a very responsible one. It is good that the minister has done this and we will then require everybody to come back and justify if they were actually prospecting or they went beyond prospecting”, Convener of the Media Coalition against Galamsey, Kenneth Ashigbey said this in an interview with Joy Fm monitored by MyNewsGH.com.

According to Mr Ken Ashibey, the suspension will help government investigate deep into the mater.

Mr. Samuel Abu Jinapor had earlier  in a statement also directed the Minerals Commission with immediate effect not to accept process or recommend the grant including renewal or extension of reconnaissance and prospecting license in forest reserves.

So far,  the ministry has not provided any date for the suspension to be lifted but said it going to be maintained until further notice.

However, commenting on the directive issued by the Lands Minister, Mr. Ken Ashibey described it as very responsible one and went ahead to say it is clear that Mr. Jinapor will let the laws deal with individuals and people who may be found guilty.

“This is a very good way to do it and we all support the minister in this particular activity because a lot of people who are behind this prospecting activity are so called untouchable and the minister has demonstrated that he will let the law of this country work.

Mr. Ken Ashibey in his interview also called on Ghanaians to rally behind the minister for the bold decision he has taken to save the country.

“And I think that all of us including the media should support the minister to ensure that the people who are doing this thing and destroying our forest are dealt with”, he said.

This is the second time the NPP-led government has banned or suspended mining activities in the country after it waged war against the activities since it took power in 2017. 

Source: MyNewsGH.com / Syxtus Eshun / 2020

Related articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
3,376FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest posts